hair treatment for baldness

Our Pet Community

Pet Poison Helpline Warns Pet Owners about Halloween Dangers

The Most Prevalent Toxic Substances

A record-setting 70 percent of Americans celebrated Halloween in 2011, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Unfortunately, it was also a very busy time at Pet Poison Helpline. During the week surrounding Halloween in 2011, call volumes increased by 21 percent, making it one of the call center’s busiest weeks on record. Pet Poison Helpline is a 24-hour animal poison control service that assists pet owners, veterinarians and veterinary technicians who are treating potentially poisoned pets.“Every year during the week of Halloween our call center gets busy, but never at the levels we experienced in 2011,” said Ahna Brutlag, DVM, MS, DABT, DABVT associate director at Pet Poison Helpline. “Many of the cases we handled were for dogs that ingested Halloween candy – the most common denominator being chocolate. By being cognizant of potential hazards, pet owners can help reduce the likelihood of pet poisonings this Halloween.” 

The most common Halloween hazards for pets are chocolate, candy overindulgence, raisins, candy wrappers, glow sticks and jewelry and candles.

  • Chocolate – Of all candies, chocolate poses the biggest Halloween “threat” to dogs. Many dogs are attracted to the smell of chocolate, making it a significant threat for massive ingestion. The darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more poisonous it is. Methylxanthines are the chemicals in chocolate that are dangerous to pets, and they are more concentrated in darker chocolates. A single ounce of Baker’s chocolate can make a 50-pound dog very sick. Milk chocolate and white chocolate are less dangerous, but should still be kept out of the reach of pets.  If you think your dog may have ingested chocolate, signs to watch for include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy,  agitation, increased thirst, an elevated heart rate, and in severe cases, seizures.
  • Candy and sweets overindulgence – Candy and other sweet foods – especially those containing poisonous xylitol – can also be poisonous to pets. Large ingestions of sugary, high-fat candy and sweets can lead to pancreatitis in pets. Potentially fatal, pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas and very painful. Pet owners should be aware that clinical signs of pancreatitis may not present for several days after ingestion. Signs include a decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain, and potentially, kidney or organ damage.
  • Raisins – Mini-boxes of raisins can be a healthy treat for trick-or-treaters, but they are extremely poisonous to dogs! Raisins are so dangerous that they deserve the same pet-proofing treatment as chocolate – stored in secure containers far from their reach. Dogs can experience kidney failure after ingesting very small amounts of raisins (including similar products with grapes and currants too). For this reason, any ingestion should be treated as a potential poisoning. Signs of raisin or grape poisoning include vomiting, nausea, decreased appetite, lethargy, abdominal pain, excessive or decreased thirst and urination, bad breath, and rapid onset kidney failure.
  • Candy wrappers – When pets get into candy, they can eat the wrappers too. Ingestion of foil and cellophane wrappers can sometimes cause a life-threatening bowel obstruction, which may require surgery to correct. Watch for vomiting, decreased appetite, not defecating, straining to defecate, or lethargy. X-rays or even ultrasound may be necessary to diagnose this problem.
  • Glow sticks and glow jewelry – Due to their curious nature, cats often accidentally ingest glow sticks and jewelry because they are bright and fun to chew. While not usually life-threatening, the contents can cause mouth pain and irritation, as well as profuse drooling and foaming. If your cat chews on glow jewelry, offer a tasty snack to help remove the product from the mouth. Bathing the chemical off the fur is important too, as grooming can contribute to further poisoning.
  • Costumes – If you put a costume on your pet, make sure it doesn’t impair his vision, movement or air intake. If it has metallic beads, snaps or other small pieces, be aware that these pieces, especially those that contain zinc and lead, can result in serious poisoning if ingested. Also, before thinking about dying or coloring your pet’s fur, consult with your veterinarian, as some products can be very harmful to pets, even if it’s labeled non-toxic to humans.
  • Candles – Curious noses and wagging tails have a way of finding lit candles. Keep candles out of your pet’s reach to prevent accidental thermal injury or burns.

 

 

This Halloween, please keep your pets safe. If you think your pet has ingested something poisonous, the veterinary and toxicology experts at Pet Poison Helpline suggest that it’s always easier, less expensive, and safer for your pet to be treated earlier, versus when he’s showing severe symptoms. Pet Poison Helpline is the most cost-effective animal poison control center in North America at only $39 per call, including unlimited follow-up consultations.


About Pet Poison Helpline Pet Poison Helpline, an animal poison control center based out of Minneapolis, is available 24 hours, seven days a week for pet owners and veterinary professionals that require assistance treating a potentially poisoned pet. The staff provides treatment advice for poisoning cases of all species, including dogs, cats, birds, small mammals, large animals and exotic species. As the most cost-effective option for animal poison control care, Pet Poison Helpline’s fee of $39 per incident includes follow-up consultation for the duration of the poison case. Pet Poison Helpline is available in North America by calling 800-213-6680. Additional information can be found online at www.petpoisonhelpline.com.Pet Poison Helpline has an iPhone application with an extensive database of plants, chemicals, foods and drugs that are poisonous to pets. A powerful indexing feature allows users to search for toxins and includes full-color photos for identifying poisonous plants and substances. With a direct dial feature to Pet Poison Helpline, the app is called “Pet Poison Help,” and is available on iTunes.

When Nature Meets Nurture

King Tut and Nefertiti

King Tut and Nefertiti, active and healthy Miniature Pinschers, were on a walk with their owner when they came across a bucolic scene of a doe and her young fawns by a stream. They were taken by surprise when the doe’s protective instinct kicked in, causing her to cross the stream and confront the dogs. The doe caught Nefertiti and kicked her repeatedly in the abdomen. When King Tut tried to come to Nefertiti’s rescue, he was kicked in the hind leg. Fortunately, the owner was able to rescue Nefertiti and King Tut, but narrowly escaped the angry doe.

Nefertiti was badly injured, with a torn abdomen and a hernia. Her intestines had been crushed by the doe’s kick and were covered in dirt. She had lost a lot of blood and was in pain. Pet Specialist’s emergency crew had prepared a trauma kit so Nefertiti could be admitted immediately. They administered medication for shock and for pain, and performed emergency surgery to repair Nefertiti’s intestines and hernia. Nefertiti did well during surgery, recovered quickly, and was released to her owner the following day. King Tut suffered a muscle tear and bone bruise on his hind leg. He was treated with pain medications and released with a plan for rest and rehabilitation.

Pet Specialists is happy to report that both King Tut and Nefertiti are doing well. King Tut has a minor limp as he continues to rebuild his muscle. Other than a small scar, Nefertiti is back to her normal, active self.

Client Education:

Although a deer attack is rare, it is an important topic for discussion. A large number of pets are admitted to the emergency clinic each year due to wild animal attacks. Wild animals now live in close proximity to residential areas and are commonly encountered in rural California parks.

Please keep in mind that wild animals dangerous and can seriously harm your pets. Our recommendations to keep your pets safe are as follows:

* Leash your pet when walking in a rural area. Coyotes often bait dogs into chasing them so the coyote “pack “ can catch the dog unaware. In many cases, your pet’s drive to chase will outweigh any training; control is lost without a leash.
* Pets should be kept indoors after dark. The majority of raccoon, skunk, and feral cat fights occur just after dark. In the morning, before letting your pet outside, check your yard for wild animals and make your presence known. Coyotes and bobcats often wait in the yard and attack small pets as they exit the house.
* Consider rattlesnake vaccinations, if appropriate. Although your pet will still require medical attention if bitten, studies show vaccinated dogs have a higher survival rate.
* Keep rabies vaccinations current. Post exposure vaccination is required after a wild animal bite, but current vaccinations are the best way to prevent the spread of this disease.
* In all cases, think safety first. If you need us, we will be here.

  • Page 2 of 2
  • 1
  • 2