Blood Donor Program
There is a nationwide shortage of blood available for transfusion to sick and injured animals. As a result, Pet Specialists of Monterey has established a Blood Donor Program to provide for the regular collection and storage of blood and help save the lives of fellow furry friends.
Requirements for Pet Participation
Pet Specialists seeks happy, healthy and friendly pets to participate in its Blood Donor Program for at least two years. All candidates must be up-to-date on vaccinations, heart worm testing, and fecal exams. In addition, dogs must be between one and six years old, and weight at least 45 pounds. Cats must be exclusively “indoor”, between the ages of one and six, and weigh at least 12 pounds. Certain other requirements apply.
Benefits to Your Pet
- A complimentary initial examination of your pet, including lab work, to determine blood type and screen for infectious diseases.
- A financial incentive at the time of blood donation, which can be applied toward future care at your veterinary hospital of choice or at Pet Specialists.
- Annual blood count and chemistry panels during your pet’s participation in the Blood Donor Program.
- Access to the Program’s bank for a reduced fee, and without the delivery delays and potential shortages faced by national blood banks.
- Love, a tasty meal, plenty of treats and a bandana for your pet on the day of donation.
Let’s Get Started!
Interested in participating? Please contact Pet Specialists of Monterey at (831) 899-4838 to schedule a consultation for acceptance into the Blood Donor Program. Through participating in the Blood Donor Program, your pet can help save lives.